I’m Sorry I’m Not Able To Accept Charges On Collect Calls From Harris County Jail—Rules For Inmates Making Collect Calls From County Jail
If you are the person who called me earlier this evening from the Harris County, Texas jail asking if I was able to accept the charges on a collect call—I’m sorry that I was not able to accept such charges.
( Above–Video to Kraftwerk’s The Telephone Call.)
I did give taking the call some thought. The recorded operator said it would cost $3.60 to accept the call. The recording did not say who was calling. All it said was that it was a collect call from the Harris County Jail.
I asked myself who I knew that might be in the county jail. While I can think of people I know that should be in jail, or that I wish were in jail, I don’t feel I know anyone in jail at the moment.
I was somewhat curious about who was on the other end of the call. Maybe it was a person who wished to discuss American history with me this evening. Or a person pondering the nature of redemption after the committing of misdeeds.
In the end however, my guess was that I was better off not taking the call.
Sheriff Garcia is a Democrat elected in 2008 to replace a Republican Sheriff.
Republicans are on the run here in Harris County. Harris County is the nation’s third most populous county. Over 3.5 million people live in Harris County.
Republicans think they can run minority-bashing anti-urban campaigns in a majority-minority urban county.
That plan did not work so well for Republicans in 2008.
Below are the rules for inmates placing a collect call at the Harris County Jail—
Inmates can place collect calls to phone numbers where collect calling is not restricted. This is the most common method of placing calls from the facility. However, there are some situations where collect calls are restricted… e.g.
- The phone number has reached its credit limit for collect calls
- The owner of the phone has requested no collect calls be permitted to their number
- The phone number is assigned to a cellular phone or pager
- The phone company of the called party has restricted collect calls
Rates – Rate quotes are available to the called party at the start of each call
- Inmate dials phone number
- System determines if called number is able to receive collect calls and places or rejects the call
- Called party must positively accept the call by following the automated instructions